Mimicry is the (in)Sincerest Form of Flattery?

|

I can't really tell if that's a good thing or bad thing in this particular case.

My little stepbrother was watching television earlier today when he happened to come across the "Jewish Telivision Network" (or "jtn" for short).

They were currently showing a bunch of  music videos, all done by Jewish singers and stars. It was rather comical, seeing Jewish people, a people universally infamous for their stodginess and frugality, trying to imitate the usual Disney Channel productions.

Except they didn't even really do a particularly good job of it. It was so cheap and cheesy, I honestly thought it was a parody. Bad editing, bad lighting, bad lyrics, bad stage acts, all of it. Hell, even the shit that regularly shows up on the Disney Channel at least throws in a bunch of hilariously bad autotune and glitter effects to make it fun to laugh at.

I think the epitome was reached when they had some boy band (whose name I cannot remember) up on stage, and showed clips of them doing gigs for various weddings and backyard birthday parties, all the while doing some half-rehearsed "musical chairs" act.

It was as hilarious as it was sad.

Why was it sad? Well, aside from the poor production values, my little brother commented that "These are Jewish people! They belong in the office or church! They should be making business decisions and being all honest and good and stuff!"

His perception is admittedly a little narrow minded (him being only 13 years old and all), and though his statement is obviously over-simplified and drenched in stereotype, it made me think.

Why would they want to imitate the American "culture" (or should I say lack there of)? I can not for the life of me understand why ANY other culture would want to be like the American "culture". Yeah, it's kinda neat that everyone refers to you as "The First World", but it's obviously a load of shit.

I would give up all this in a heartbeat to be able to live in a foreign country or culture that at celebrated or at least welcomed social interactions and community.

I think a lot of people here in the States would, actually...

Unless you're a young, poor guy like me! Then the best you can hope for is that when the "ship" finally does "sink" that you'll either be able to hide from it all or effectively join the ranks of the revolt.


Crank Dat Kosha Boy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment